[Samba] Using NetWkstaGetInfo / NetWkstaUserEnum with samba server

Fri Jul 17 21:56:51 MDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 02:04:19PM -0700, Ian Puleston wrote:
> I'm trying to get a Linux machine set up so that it will respond to
> NetWkstaGetInfo and/or NetWkstaUserEnum NetAPI requests from a Windows
> machine. I have samba configured and working to authenticate in the
> Windows domain with smb, nmb and winbind daemons running, and can browse
> shares on that machine from a Window PC, authenticating as either the
> domain administrator or a domain user.
>
> So I'm now trying to run a program on a Windows server that sends the
> above NetAPI requests to Samba on the Linux machine, being logged in to
> that Windows server as the domain administrator. NetWkstaGetInfo has 3
> levels (100 to 102) with 100 requiring only guest access. Level 100
> works OK, but levels 101/102 return error 124 (invalid level).
> NetWkstaUserEnum returns error 1745 (RPC_S_PROCNUM_OUT_OF_RANGE).
>
> I have samba logging turned on with log level set to 3, and it logs
> successfully authenticating the domain administrator
> (sd80\administrator) and receiving the NetWksta... command in both cases
> (see below), so any idea why it may be returning these errors? On
> authenticating the user I do see "get_privileges: No privileges assigned
> to SID" logged - could this be the reason, the account does not have the
> privilege to run these commands on the Linux machine? If so is there a
> way to give the account that privilege?
>
> Here is the samba log of an attempt to run NetWkstaUserEnum:

Probably we "just" don't support some calls or some
infolevels that we haven't come across yet. Can you please
file a bug at bugzilla.samba.org and upload network traces?
Maybe also a snippet of your Win32 code that you're trying
to get to run.

Volker