[Samba] Samba Permissions

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Fri Jul 17 17:07:32 MDT 2009

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us wrote:
> I have fought with these before.  I finally got them down the way that I
> wanted them, but I was wanting to set this up a bit different.  I want to
> make sure that there is no way to do this without actually having to
> assign a bunch of different drive letters to shares.
>
> I basically one one Drive letter assigned to the top of the directory.
> Underneath that directory there will be several others and then others
> underneath each one of those.  I assume each directory inherits the top
> share though, is that correct?
>
> For example, if I have the following.
>
> MAIN (unix permissions rwxr-xr-x)
> --DIR1_LEVEL1  (unix permissions rwxr-xr-x)
> ----DIR1_LEVEL2 (unix permissions rwxrwxrwx)
> --DIR2-LEVEL1  (unix permissions rwxr-xr-x)
>
> [main]
> path = /MAIN
>
> I then map T: to the MAIN share.
>
> Here is how I would like this to work.  Anyone in the TEACHER group can
> access either the DIR1_LEVEL1 or the DIR2_LEVEL2 and anything underneath.
>
> Only students in GROUP1 can access DIR1_LEVEL1 and anything underneath.
> Only students in GROUP2 can access DIR2_LEVEL1 and anything underneath.
>
> MAIN and LEVEL1 directories cannot be written to, but LEVEL2 directories
> can.
>
> If I browse down to the LEVEL2 directory then I still do not have
> permissions to write to it.  If I create a share to the LEVEL2 directory
> then I could, but I don't want that because then I start getting a lot of
> network drive letters.
>
> I may have to create a lot of drive letters, but I just wanted to ask and
> make sure that I am not missing some sort of settings first.

This may not be a Samba question after all.  I did not realize this newer
version of Fedora actually has ACLs so I will see if I can give access
with Samba and then narrow it down with those.

Thanks.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?