[Samba] Samba + ADS - Filepermissions home directories

Mona Meyer meymona at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 10:47:58 MDT 2009

I configured winbind, samba and pam.d to authenticate via our Windows Active
Directory Server.

Everything works fine, I can log on to the system using my Windows Account
credentials, I am also able to access the samba home share, but I have no
write permissions there.

What I don't get is: When I give read-write-access to everybody (chmod 777
/home/%USER%), I am able to create and delete files. If I than create a new
file (via the network share), the file is created by the owner of
/home/%USER%. But If the system identifies myself as the owner, why was I
not able to create the file before changig the file permissions?

/etc/samba/smb.conf
 [global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   realm = INT.WORKGROUP.COM