[Samba] Samba on RHEL issue

Jonathon Doran jon at doransw.com
Tue Jul 14 13:01:27 MDT 2009

Quoting Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com>:

> su setenforce 0

For the benefit of others, under Fedora I edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux
to turn this off.

Please recognize the risks you may be adding to your network by
disabling selinux.  For some people, this is an acceptable situation
(me for one), but in other environments this could be a bad thing.

I think it is often advisable to try temporarily selinux and/or
iptables in an environment where things aren't working properly.  This
can be done for a short period of time, so the risk of compromise is
lessened.  Knowing that one of these two products is behind your
troubles is well worth the risk, in my opinion.

I have spent considerable time on a new Fedora 11 install tweaking iptables.