[Samba] winbindd: Exceeding 200 client connections, no idle connection found

John H Terpstra - Samba Team jht at samba.org
Tue Jul 14 08:37:54 MDT 2009

Rene wrote:
> Jeremy Allison schrieb:

>>> I am using  3.2.4 but I still get this messages. I had many production
>>> servers hit 100% CPU due to winbind. I had to stop winbind 3 times
>>> through
>>> rc script to stop winbind.
>>>
>>> I didn't have verbose log enabled, but I would go straight and
>>> upgrade if
>>> you guys think this is resolved in latest versions.
>>
>> Ah. My statement that this was fixed in 3.2.4 was wrong, sorry
>> about that.
>>
>> I've checked back in the release notes and the fix for this
>> bug (3204) was discovered by Richard Sharpe in Jan 2009,
>> and 3.2.4 dates from 18 September 2008.
>>
>> The fix went into the 3.2 tree on 2009-01-08, and so
>> it will have been fixed on the 03 February 2009 release
>> Samba 3.2.8 and above. Sorry for the mistake in claiming
>> it was fixed in 3.2.4.
>>
>> Jeremy.
>

> Hi there,
>
> got the same problem on a Samba 3.3.1 installation.
>
> winbindd log is filling up faster than logrotate is able to clean it,
> and my machine finally ends up with a full partition.
>
> Searched the Web now half the day and found that it should be solved in
> 3.2.8. Is there any other known Issue how this behavior can occur?
>

> René

The same problem was experienced in a 4200 user site with 3.3.2 but has
not happened since 3.3.4 went in.

The problem first occurred with 3.0.30, also with 3.2.3, then moved to
3.3.2, and in each case was highly intermittent and we could not get a
lock on what was causing it because it was always a sudden-death problem
that blew up the /var/log/samba file system.  At its worst the problem
ate up 72GB of storage in a matter of minutes.  Also, only one server
out of a dozen was ever affected.  This makes the matter highly
suspicious.

I would suggest moving to 3.3.4 or later, but do not rule out that you
may have a platform integrity problem. Perhaps one of the library files
is damaged.

cheers,
John T.