[Samba] Winbind, nscd, solaris 10, nscd.conf, group, passwd

Pierre B. pierre at starcumulus.owl.de
Tue Jul 14 04:29:33 MDT 2009

Hello,

we're using Samba 3.0.28 on big sun hardware with solaris 10, and an connction
to an 3 dc windows domain with winbind.

I've found some entries that for using samba with winbind the nscd must be
turned off. But in detail I found descriptions, winbind caches only passwd and
group entries, which are in nsswitch.conf configured.

In fact of solaris 10 nscd, the nscd is fine gradulary configurable via
/etc/nscd.conf; including turned of caching for some of the services,
e.g. passwd and group.

It there another hint why nscd must still turned off?

Or will samba work with turned off passwd and groups in nscd.conf as we switch
off the whole nscd?

We know by tests that we have many other srvice requests which are cached in
nscd, too(e.g.nameservice)

This is a base question. If any need an example configuration I can check that.

MfG...
Pierre B.