[Samba] writable shares between solaris and windows

Mon Jul 13 09:20:30 MDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 09:54:42AM -0500, Xu, Ying (Houston) wrote:
> One of our daily jobs needs to process a lot of files on a solaris
> server and dump the files onto a windows server.  We currently use
> sharity to accomplish this.  However, the performance becomes worse when
> the files get larger.  We want to find another approach to do this.  The
> reason we didnt use samba was that very few users have unix accounts and
> they need to have write permission to the share.  We dont want to create
> unix accounts just for this.  To use ADS, we need to install and
> kerberos for this, we dont use kerberos right now.  Is it worth the
> effort to configure kerberos for this?  Is there any better way?

Samba definitely needs unix accounts to be able to use the
kernel access controls, sorry. You could join your box to
AD, but winbind would then create "virtual" users for you.

To gain nfs-like (non-)security, you might map all users to
a single unix user via the "map to guest = bad password" and
"guest ok = yes" features and control access to the shares
via "hosts allow/deny".

Volker