[Samba] Active Directory Integration Problems

David Armstrong darmstrong at moca.org
Thu Jul 9 11:01:58 MDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I have setup Samba 3.0.28a on an Ubuntu 8.04 server.  The setup that I
am working with is an exact copy (as far as I can tell) if an identical
installation that I did on a test box.  Kerberos is setup and working
properly.  I can use kinit to issue tickets.  The box has been
successfully joined to the Active Directory domain.  I can enumerate AD
users and groups.  I can log into the Linux box with accounts from AD.
When browsing to the server over the network using the UNC, I can
connect to the server just fine.

The problem comes in when I try to connect to the share (\\<server
name>\<share name>).  When attempting to connect to the share I am
prompted for authentication credentials.  Neither valid AD credentials,
nor valid credentials for accounts on the local box work.  I have set
the directory world readable/writeable (chmod 777).

I'm not sure what to do to further troubleshoot the issue.  The exact
same configuration works fine on another box.  I have included my
smb.conf file here for reference.  Thanks in advance for any help and
insights.

[global]

        security = ads

        realm = <censored, ALL IN CAPS)

        password server = <censored, FQDN to domain controller>

        workgroup = 2CP

        winbind separator = '\'

        winbind refresh tickets = yes

        idmap uid = 10000-20000

        idmap gid = 10000-20000

        winbind enum users = yes

        winbind enum groups = yes

        template homedir = /home/%D/%U

        template shell = /bin/bash

        client use spnego = yes

        client ntlmv2 auth = yes

        encrypt passwords = yes

        winbind use default domain = yes

        restrict anonymous = 2

[test]

        path = /home/2CP/darmstrong

        valid users = 2CP\darmstrong,2CP\buexec,2CP\test,itadmin

        write list = 2CP\darmstrong,2CP\buexec,2CP\test,itadmin

        read list =

David Armstrong

Database Administrator

MOCA  THE MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART