[Samba] Samba slow over WAN.

Kasper Sacharias Eenberg kse at hovmark.dk
Thu Jul 9 00:33:06 MDT 2009

Morning.

I recently set up a Samba server serving a smaller company of 5-6
people.
They previously used to be in a domain (windows 2003 server), but as
they are using laptops and running around like mad, we skipped the
domain on this one.

Everything works great over the LAN (Or it's just too fast for them to
notice it's slow) but over WAN it takes them a couple of minutes to open
an Excel file (for instance).

So we sent a reinstalled XP down to them to test what speeds it got, and
it got full speed. It only took a few seconds to open the same file.

All client machines are running XP SP3.
Samba version Version 3.0.33-3.7.el5.
WAN connection is a 20/20 fiber.
Client connection is 6/2 (the test PC was on that connection aswell).
Samba send/receive buffers are at the maximum (It gave the best
performance over WAN when my colleague and i tested it).

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on here?

With regards,
Kasper