[Samba] Authentication requests being handled by PDC not local BDC

David M Noriega davidmnoriega at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 15:53:09 GMT 2009

I have a PDC+LDAP as well as a BDC+LDAP in another subnet setup with a
domain member in the same subnet as the BDC. From my understanding the
domain member should be hitting the BDC for all authentication but
watching the logs I see the PDC is the one handling it all. The BDC
just sits there. Am I missing something?

Here are the smb.conf for each servers:

PDC:
[global]
        workgroup = X.X.X
        netbios name = Ross
        server string = PDC %v
        map to guest = Bad User
        encrypt passwords = yes
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap1.x.x.x
        enable privileges = yes
        log level = 2
        syslog = 0
        time server = Yes
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=32768
SO_SNDBUF=32768
        add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m '%u'
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel %u
        add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p '%g'
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-group-del '%g'
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m '%u' '%g'
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x '%u' '%g'
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g '%g' '%u'
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w '%u'
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
        logon script = netlogin.bat
#        logon drive = M:
#        logon home = \\cajal.x.x.x\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 225
        domain master = Yes
        local master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
#       remote announce = x.x.x.255/X.X.X #bishop subnet
        ldap admin dn = cn=samba,ou=DSA,dc=x,dc=x,dc=x
        ldap group suffix = ou=group
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
        ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        ldap suffix = dc=x,dc=x,dc=x
        ldap ssl = start tls
        ldap user suffix = ou=people
        create mask = 0640
	directory mask = 0750
	case sensitive = No
	dont descend = /proc,/dev,/etc,/lib,/lost+found,/initrd
	interfaces = eth0 lo
	bind interfaces only = yes
	hosts deny = ALL
	hosts allow = xxx.xxx.0.0/255.255.0.0

BDC:
[Global]
  workgroup = X.X.X
  netbios name = BISHOP
  server string = BDC %v
  interfaces = eth0 lo
  bind interfaces only = yes
  hosts deny = ALL
  hosts allow = xxx.xxx.0.0/255.255.0.0
  passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap2.x.x.x
  domain master = no
  domain logons = yes
  ldap suffix = dc=x,dc=x,dc=x
  ldap user suffix = ou=people
  ldap group suffix = ou=group
  ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
  ldap admin dn = cn=manager,dc=x,dc=x,dc=x
  encrypt passwords = yes
  enable privileges = yes
  log level = 3
  syslog = 0
  domain master = no
  wins server = ross.x.x.x
  wins proxy = yes
  remote announce = xxx.xxx.xxx.255/X.X.X #Ross subnet
  remote browse sync = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx #ross ip
  ntlm auth = yes
  lanman auth = yes
  ldap ssl = start tls
  local master = yes
  os level = 65
  preferred master = yes

Domain Member:
[Global]
  workgroup = X.X.X
  server string = CAJAL %v
  security = domain
  password server = *
  lanman auth = Yes
  encrypt passwords = yes
  enable privileges = yes
  loglevel = 2
  syslog = 0
  deadtime = 5
  os level = 8
  local master = No
  domain master = No
  remote announce = xxx.xxx.xxx.255/X.X.XXX
  interfaces = ce0 lo0
  bind interfaces only = yes

--
Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities,
we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college!