[samba] Problem accessing a share on a W2008 server via smbclient

Jacques Bratières jb91a at online.fr
Wed Jul 8 13:14:00 GMT 2009

Hi

We just installed a W server 2008 server as antivirus server.

As this server is heavily underused we created a share to backup files
 from other servers.
This share is easily accessed from XP pro Pc's via \\ipadr\share and
giving a user/password name on the W 2008 server.
We then try to use it from an open suse 9.3 linux server via smbclient.
smbclient //ipadr/share -U user%password

smblient exits with message "session setup failed: SUCCESS - 0 "

with debug=10 , ends with SPNEGO login failed error

smbclient -L //ipadr gives:
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
session request to 192.168.1.101 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available

smbclient -V -> 3.0.12.5-suse

Thanks for any help.
--
JB