[Samba] No Error When Trying To Delete Protected Files With Windows Explorer

Wed Jul 8 12:30:45 GMT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:10:32PM +0100, Atkinson, Robert wrote:
> I have a file on a VMS system that I'm accessing using a SAMBA share. When I
> delete the file, the icon disappears from the browser window as if it's been
> deleted.
>
> On the VMS host, the file is still there, and cannot be deleted because it's
> protected (no delete privilege). If I then press F5 to refresh the Browser
> window, the fie re-appears.
>
> A trace of the IP packets show that SAMBA is returning an 'Access Denied'
> message, but Windows doesn't seem to see it. Has anyone else come across
> this? Is it a known bug with Windows?

You probably need a recent Samba version, with XP SP2
Windows changed the way to delete a file. Probably you're
seeing the "Access Denied" on the close request, Windows
ignores it there. Recent Samba gives the error message on
the open call preceding that.

Volker