[Samba] permissions problems

Jonathon Doran jon at doransw.com
Tue Jul 7 18:33:09 GMT 2009

While I have a moment, I'd like to followup yesterdays post with
another data point.  I backed up one user's profile, then went into
the directory and did "chmod -R 777 .".  The user is able to login,
and access their profile normally.  This really makes me believe this
is an ownership/permissions problem.

I started with the advise in Samba By Example, and really want those
folders to be 750, or perhaps 2750.  Neither 750, nor 755 allowed
Windows to write into the profile.  I base this interpretation on the
fact that the profile seems to load OK, but only operations like
cleaning up the recycle bins cause problems.

Now since the suggested permissions only allow write access to the
owner (which is the user (ie a chown -R username:Domain\ Users was
performed) it seems like accesses should either be done as that user,
or as root.  To repeat earlier statements, both the user and root can
read/write anything in that tree from the shell.