[Samba] Best way to setup Samba + OpenLDAP + Linux to use a different partition for /home?

Jonathon Doran jon at doransw.com
Tue Jul 7 18:10:32 GMT 2009

> 1)  Would it be better to only have the Samba users files on the large
> RAID drive, leaving the admin and root homes on the OS drive?
>
> 2)  If it is, how would I set up for the admin account.  For example,
> the admin is a user named 'fred' and he will also be logging onto the
> Samba server.  Should I create a separate admin account?  Or could I
> simply create two different home directories - one for the regular users
> and one for the admins?
>
> 3)  What is the easiest way to set this up so a person with little
> technical background can do it fairly easily?

I'm perhaps the last person who should be answering any questions here,
as I'm unable to get some things working on my own.  But I'll throw out
my two cents and see what comments come from it.

We have our users files on an external RAID.  If you have that RAID
mounted on the server, there is no reason I can think of why you
couldn't point the user's home directories at the RAID.  We use
smbldap-useradd to create new users, and
the configuration file for the smbldap tools has a "userHome" variable
which specifies the default path for home directories (ie "/home/%U").

There is nothing (again that I can think of) to prevent you from
placing different user's home directories in different locations.
smbldap-useradd has a "-d" switch to override, and I suppose one could
edit the LDAP record for the user.  We have two accounts which have
their credentials in the shadow password file, and can therefore login
without LDAP running.  I think this is important not to put all of
your eggs in one basket.

In the case of your third question, I created a page on our internal
wiki with some examples of performing basic operations like adding
accounts.  Each semester we need to bulk add class accounts, so I
threw something together
which created accounts based on a list of users.  As long as the
person can follow directions they are fine.