[Samba] Re: smbclient failing: Server requested plaintext password...

John Riesen vndcfv03 at sneakemail.com
Tue Jul 7 01:48:06 GMT 2009

John Riesen <vndcfv03 <at> sneakemail.com> writes:

> I was using samba 3.0.35 and started using samba 3.2.13.
>
> Now when I try to connect to my samba server (which has
> 'encrypted passwords = no') using smbclient, I get:
>
> Server requested plaintext password but 'client plaintext auth' is disabled
> session setup failed: SUCCESS - 0

The bit of code that is complaining is:

        if ((cli->sec_mode & NEGOTIATE_SECURITY_CHALLENGE_RESPONSE) == 0) {
                if (!lp_client_plaintext_auth() && (*pass)) {
                        DEBUG(1, ("Server requested plaintext password but "
                                  "'client plaintext auth' is disabled\n"));
                        return NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED;

That's in source/libsmb/cliconnect.c

I haven't figured out yet why lp_client_plaintext_auth() is failing.
Hints welcome.