[Samba] Samba and file access latency

John Goubeaux goubeaux at education.ucsb.edu
Mon Jul 6 17:30:40 GMT 2009

I've recently migrated a handful of shares from Samba ver 2.28  to
ver 3.3.4 w/ LDAP backend. Both cases are stand alone samba servers.

So all is working well and I have managed to iron out some of the
kinks, however now my users are complaining about excel files ( on
the shares) taking too long to open as well as to save.

I did some tests to get some numbers to deal with and in fact see
that there is a longer latency in opening as well as writing back to
excel files eg  11sec for a large 7mb .xls file as opposed to 3 sec
for the same file on the old samba server. I do not however, see a
big difference with a large 6mb jpeg file opening on the two samba
servers which leads me to believe that excel has more overhead etc.
Mind you all things being the same as far as the clients used,
network only the samba file server versions are on two different
solaris servers. The new 3.3.4 server is on substantially newer
hardware as well as faster storage.

I realize this might seem like a trivial matter but I at least wanted
to see if this longer time is expected. I am suspecting that b/c the
new server IS enforcing encryption ( where the older one was not)
that the time increase could be attributed to this fact?

Thanks for any ideas that might help me get a few cranky users off my back !

-john
--
John Goubeaux
Systems Administrator