[Samba] issue while cross compile samba for mips.

Grzegorz Heldt grzegorz.heldt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 09:52:29 GMT 2009

Hello !

I've made several trials to get samba 3.3.5 build for mipsel.
Probably i'm doing something wrong.

When try like this:

./configure --host=i686-linux --build=mipsel-linux-uclibc
--target=mipsel-linux-uclibc
configure script stop to execute with error while try to run compiler
tests. I belive (could you confirm that?) that it tries to run test
that were build for mipsel on i686:

checking GNU ld release version... 2.19
checking GNU ld release version major... 2
checking GNU ld release version minor... 19
checking whether mipsel-linux-uclibc-gcc and cc understand -c and -o
together... yes
checking that the C compiler understands -Werror... cross
checking that the C compiler understands -w2... cross
checking that the C compiler understands -errwarn... cross
checking that the C compiler understands volatile... yes
checking that the C compiler understands negative enum values...
configure: error: in `/home/user/samba-3.3.5/source':
configure: error: cannot run test program while cross compiling
See `config.log' for more details.

I've made several trials with several combinations of arguments.
Configure script will pass to the end successfully only when use:
./configure --target=mipsel-linux-uclibc
but actually, it still doesn't work like I like :-) because it
produces i686 binaries:

$./configure --target=mipsel-linux-uclibc

$make bin/smbclient  (another trial was: CC=mipsel-linux-uclibc-gcc
make bin/smbclient)
Linking shared library bin/libwbclient.so.0
Linking bin/smbclient

$file bin/smbclient
bin/smbclient: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1
(SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15,
not stripped

Result is the same even if I've tried to run make like :
CC=mipsel-linux-uclibc-gcc make bin/smbclient

So the question is, how to perform build for mipsel correctly.
Thank you for any advices !

Best Regards
Greg.