[Samba] Slow connection and browsing

Matthew Daubenspeck matt at oddprocess.org
Thu Jul 2 19:19:13 GMT 2009

I have tried this with a bunch of different versions of Samba, starting
somewhere in the 3.0.1 series. I am currently running 3.0.34 on several
Gentoo servers, all showing the same problem.

I am almost positive it is not a Samba issue, but I was just hoping that
someone may have experienced it and knows if there is a solution.

When I have the current Novell Netware client installed on XP machines,
any initial browsing or opening of connected Samba drives is painfully
slow. Slow as in 20-30 seconds. The hourglass appears and things just
seem to lock for that time. Then, magically, things start working
normally. Once I browse or connect to the server, it works perfectly for
a $foo amount of time. If I step away, come back and try to read a
drive, browsing it then comes to a halt and freezes again.

Now, if I remove the Novell client completely, things work _perfectly_.
I can browse and connect, disconnect, reconnect, the works, all at
normal speed. I know the simple answer is that it is "something with the
client," but I was wondering if anyone had any better insight. It's
making my life miserable :)

--
  Matthew Daubenspeck

Gentoo Linux i686 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5420 @ 2.50GHz
15:11:47 up 36 days, 1:05, 5 users, load average: 0.06, 0.04, 0.00