[Samba] User Manager for Domains -- Groups not showing

Ray Klassen rayklassen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 14:44:58 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:13:45AM -0800, Ray Klassen wrote:
>> I have a network of about 100+ users with a Samba 3.0.25 server with
>> an LDAP backend that I configured myself (with some help). Recently I
>> have had to add about 300 more users to my system and now I need to
>> get a slightly less technical person to help me manage the accounts.
>> I've been happily using smbldap-tools all of this time, but when I
>> showed what I do to my hapless trainee, her eyes started to glaze
>> over. So as an alternative I'd like to start using the 'User Manager
>> for Domains' in the SRVTOOLS.EXE archive. She might find the point and
>> click of it all more friendly. Only thing is, when I start up User
>> Manager, I can see all the users, but I can't see the groups. So I did
>> a bit of checking and found that nowhere are those available as a
>> list. Not even 'net rpc group list' will give me a list, even though
>> if I add someone to my Domain Admins group everything works correctly.
>> At the windows workstation end I can access the groups by name, to set
>> the permissions of a share to certain group, etc. but I can't list
>> them as I can the users.I've checked all the files...
>> smb.conf,ldap.conf,slapd.conf,smbldap.conf and the Groups directive
>> matches up with the right ldap 'ou' and so on. Has anyone any
>> pointers?
>
> There was a bug in earlier versions of the smbldap-tools
> that creates groups with the wrong sid-type. I'd suggest
> upgrading to 3.0.34 (latest 3.0.x release) and then ensuring
> the group-type is changed in your LDAP db (I think it should be
> type 5, rather than type 4 but this could be the other way
> around :-).
>
> Jeremy.

3.0.34 is now installed. no change. 'net rpc list groups' returns
nothing, while 'net rpc group members <group>' returns the correct
data

tried changing the group type on a few groups. no change in behavior there.

cleaned up some error messages in my slapd.log where I assume samba
was requesting indexes from slapd.log. just told slap.conf to index
those attributes and the messages went away.

Upping the loglevel in slapd.conf...