[Samba] mv errors.

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Sat Jan 31 01:11:17 GMT 2009

Am Freitag, 30. Januar 2009 schrieb Athunye:

> Günter Kukkukk-2 wrote:
> >

> > Can you please try the "preserving copy cmds":
> >   'cp -p srcfile /mounted/samba/share/'
> >   'cp -a srcfile /mounted/samba/share/'
> >
> > Do they work ?
> >

> bash >>> pwd
> /mnt/docs
>
> bash >>> ls --all
> .  ..  .Trash-1001
>
> bash >>> cp -p ~/test.txt ./
> cp: preserving times for `./test.txt': Operation not permitted
>
> bash >>> cp -a ~/.vimrc ./
> cp: preserving times for `./.vimrc': Operation not permitted
>
> bash >>> pwd
> /mnt/docs
>
> bash >>> rm .vimrc
> (no warnings)
>
> bash >>> rm test.txt
> rm: remove write-protected regular empty file `test.txt'?

that's what i've expected.
These cifs vfs bugs have been fixed in a later kernel release.
I was able to test that on a (somewhat more recent kernel than
yours) 2.6.22.18-0.2, which was shipped with cifs vfs version 1.49.
The 'mv' and 'cp -p' problems are fixed in there.

Btw - you can also expect cp -p errors, when ACLs are used and
the remote samba server is exporting a share on a *file system*
which does not support ACLs - or is not configured to do so.
 (e.g. ext3 can be mounted with the "acl,user_xattr" option).
On the cifs client side one can use the cifs mount option "noacl"
to disable acls.

So i can only recommend to update the kernels on your linux clients.
Good luck!  :-)

Cheers, Günter