[Samba] Problem with offline drive

BOURIAUD david.bouriaud at ac-rouen.fr
Thu Jan 29 16:02:09 GMT 2009

Hi !
I hope that someone will be abble to help me with the problem I get with my
samba machines, though it is not really a samba problem.
Here is the config I use :
I'm running a samba controler on a rhel 5 machine (rpm -qa says
samba-3.0.33-3.7.el5) which acts as a domain controler.
My machines, all windows XP use to be connected to this controler. I have no
problem with them. The problem occurs with laptops.
Indeed, we have some drives mapped to the domain controler. The one that
causes problem is the M: drive, on which is stored the profile of thunderbird.
When the laptop is connected to the network, no problems. Thunderbird works
just fine. All mails are here.
When the laptop is out of the office, connected or not to another network
doesn't change anything, thunderbird shows a weird interface, there are
missing mails, missing folders on the left view and so on.
When I connected the M: drive to \\server\mail, I right-clicked on the M:
drive in the "My computer" view and selected the option to have this drive
offline. When I'm disconnected of the network, I can walk in this drive and
see all the files that belongs to thunderbird. I even can view the content of
individual files with notepad for example.
Is there anyone here either to help me or to direct me to another place where
I could find help for this peculiar topic ?
I've of course searched the web, read many things about offline drives, but
found nothing helpfull.
Thanks in advance for any help provided.