[Samba] mv errors.

Kyle Rabe kyle.rabe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 21:30:45 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Athunye <Athunye at gmail.com> wrote:

> Notice that if I cp I do not get those errors.
>
>  <http://pastebin.com/f32cd160a> Also:
> ls -l /mnt/drwxr-xr-x 2 root nando 4096 2009-01-26 22:56 videos

Is your Linux user "root" or a member of the "nando" group?  Since you can
cp but not mv, I think it could be a permissions issue on the origin file or
directory.  You can read it - that's why cp works - but not write to it - mv
tries to delete the file after copying.

You don't get errors when moving Windows files to the /mnt/videos share
because they're allowed to write there.  You get errors when you move a file
in Linux because you don't have permission to delete the original.  It
concerns me, though, that your Windows clients are allowed to write to
/mnt/videos since that *should* mean that they're using root credentials...

That's my guess, anyway.

-Kyle