[Samba] Samba and Cups

guido at lorenzutti.com.ar guido at lorenzutti.com.ar
Thu Jan 29 13:56:28 GMT 2009

1. maybe it's a cups problem. can you start/stop jobs with the same users
in the web interface of the cups?
2. it's a cups problem. You should check how the policy of the printer is
defined. By default it stops the printer.

This is a example of a printer that stops when it found any problem:

<Printer wxp-ti-01>
Info Ti
DeviceURI lpd://10.1.2.14/cola
State Idle
StateTime 1180982800
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

This is a example of a good policy... here, the printer never stops:
<Printer wxp-ti-01>
Info Ti
DeviceURI lpd://10.1.2.14/cola
State Idle
StateTime 1180982800
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy abort-job
</Printer>

I have the following cronjob to fix this, 'coz support people never
understoud the procedure i gave...

#!/bin/bash

sed -e 's/stop-printer/abort-job/' /etc/cups/printers.conf
>/etc/cups/printers.c
onf.1
mv /etc/cups/printers.conf.1 /etc/cups/printers.conf

Bye.