[Samba] mount.cifs is not working (smbclient does work), somekind of recursive content in mount-dir

M. Verkerk m.verkerk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 14:06:39 GMT 2009

Hi all,

When I try to make a connection to our windows server with smbclient:

smbclient //server/dira/dirb/dirc -U username -W workgroup
Password: *****

I get a working ftp-like connection to our data.

When I try to make the same connection with mount.cifs:

mount.cifs //server/dira/dirb/dirc /mnt/mnt_dir -o user=877790
dom=workgroup
Password: *****

I get a mount to a location which appears to be //server/dir, but with
some kind of recursive content, similar to //server/dir in each
subdirectory:

/mnt/mnt_dir contains:
dira
dira2
dira3

/mnt/mnt_dir/dira also contains:
dira
dira2
dira3

Further down the folders, folder layout seems to be right, but files
are missing.

Any logical explanation?

Thanks in advance,
Marijn