[Samba] mangled filenames

Desmond Vicks dez at accid.net
Wed Jan 28 10:29:01 GMT 2009

James Tandy wrote:

> I too have experienced this problem, however this was using XP SP2/3
> clients and an openSUSE 11 server.
>
> The summary of the problem for XP:
>
> When downloading a file from the internet, or another windows/samba pc
> that is not in the Intranet security zone, by default XP creates 2 files.
> DownloadedFile.exe
> DownloadedFile.exe:Zone.Identifier
>
> The result is that when viewing the folder in question in XP, the : is
> not a valid character for a filename, and so the file is inaccessible
> and displays a strange filename.
>
> I can't rememebr what samba version I was running however,
> I fixed it initially by adding "vfs objects = streams_xattr" to smb.conf
> as suggested in the following thread
> http://forums.opensuse.org/network-internet/387779-samba-file-transfer-creates-zone-identifier-files.html

I've finally got around to testing this and unfortunately neither the
"vfs objects = streams_xattr" option nor using a newer version of samba
helped (FreeBSD has 3.2.7), some files still show up with pseudo-random
filenames (ACD76Y~N, AOBC8G~A).

A workaround of renaming all of the illegal character containing folders
is possible, but I'd rather prefer a server-end solution, if such exists.

Is there anything else I can try to get this resolved on the server,
without having to touch the files themselves?

Thanks

--
Dez