[Samba] Deleted usershare permissions maintain precedence over regular shares

Kyle Rabe kyle.rabe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 19:21:02 GMT 2009

I set up two usershares to share my music and photos read-only a while ago.
I recently decided to remove the usershares and recreate the shares in my
smb.conf with read/write access to some users.  If the shares have the same
names that the usershares originally had, it seems that the original
read-only permissions still apply; however, if I change only the names of
the shares, I gain read/write access.  Is there some way to flush the
credentials?  Both machines (client and server) have been restarted.

Here are some details.

Client Machine: Windows XP Pro SP3, accessing Samba share through Windows
Explorer

Server Machine: Ubuntu Linux 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-23-generic, Samba 3.0.28a

smb.conf
-------------
[global]
  workgroup = xxx
  server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  log level = 2
  max log size = 1000
  syslog = 0
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = true
  passdb backend = tdbsam
  invalid users = root
  map to guest = never
  hosts allow = 192.168. 127.0.0.1
  unix extensions = false

[new-music] # read/write works - usershare name was 'music'
  comment = Music files
  path = /mnt/750/Music
  read only = no
  guest ok = no
  force user = kyle
  force group = guest

[new-pics] # read/write works - usershare name was 'pics'
  comment = Pictures
  path = /mnt/750/Pics
  read only = no
  guest ok = no
  force user = kyle
  force group = kyle

Also, the output of "net usershare list --long *" with or without sudo gives
only the usage options - no usershares exist anymore.  I will gladly provide
any other information that may be useful.

Thank you!

-Kyle