[Samba] Problem with Samba DFS and Active Directory/XP

Faye Gibbins Faye.Gibbins at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jan 27 12:46:04 GMT 2009

Hi,

  Samba version 3.0.28 from RPM samba-3.0.28-1.el5_2.1 on Scientific
Linux 5. Although I'm finding this problem with samba 3.0.33 and a few
others I've randomly tried.

  Full experiment here: http://xweb.geos.ed.ac.uk/~fgibbins/DFS-tests.txt

  I've got an AD joined samba server which exports a share to an AD
joined XP machine, same M$ 2003 AD in both cases. This share is setup as
a DFS share and appears to properly serve DFS links as seen on the XP box.

  Then I reconfigure samba's smb.conf so the share I'm exporting  _is_
_not_ a DFS share (see experiment above). After rebooting the XP box it
naturally does not see the symlinks in the share as DFS links, it can
still see the share though.

  However putting the original samba config back, restarting the samba
server and rebooting the XP box does not re-export my share with
symlinks that operate from the XP box as DFS links, it can still see the
share though.

  Rebuilding the XP client and the box the samba server is on does not
work either.

  Can anyone explain what is going on? Is something being cached in the
AD which is stopping my samba server exporting shares with working DFS
links (as seen from an XP box)? If so does anyone know how I clear this
info from the AD?

smb.conf:

  [global]

         workgroup = ED
         netbios name = XEN210120092
         server string = xen210120092.geos.ed.ac.uk
         security = ads
         realm = ED.AC.UK
         passdb backend = tdbsam
         load printers = no
         host msdfs = yes

[data]
         comment = Data
         path = /tmp/data
         read only = Yes
         guest ok = Yes
         msdfs root = yes

Yours
Faye

--

Please sign my petition:
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/alcohol-buying/

Faye Gibbins, Computing Officer (Infrastructure Services)
      GeoS KB; Linux, Unix, Security and Networks.
Beekeeper  - The Apiary Project, KB -   www.bees.ed.ac.uk

   I grabbed at spannungsbogen before I knew I wanted it.
                  (x(x_(X_x(O_o)x_x)_X)x)

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body,
registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336.