[Samba] Trying to access share on a workgroup computer locks domain account

Miguel Duarte mjrduarte at mail.telepac.pt
Mon Jan 26 14:11:59 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'm having a strange problem.
I've setup a Samba server in Active Directory without any issues. I can get
the group and user list, add ACL to the shares, etc.
If I try to access the share from a windows machine on the same domain,
everything is fine.
But when I try to access the same share from a windows machine which is not
on the domain (it's in a workgroup, for example), instead of getting the
popup asking for credentials, the user domain account gets locked (because
of failed logins).

Here's my smb.conf:

[global]
        netbios name = MACHINE
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
        idmap uid = 20000-30000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind gid = 20000-30000
        workgroup = WHATEVER