[Samba] SMB Signing issues... smbclient works, mount does not...

Julian Houghton sarlacii at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 18:35:15 GMT 2009

Greetings Samba peoples... apologies for the long post.

I have an issue that remains unresolved on my usual forum, linuxforums.org... it relates to SMB Signing when connecting from Linux to a Win 2003 file server.

My OS:
>> PClinuxOS - a Mandriva derivative
My Samba versions:
>> samba-client-3.0.30-3pclos2007.i586.rpm
>> samba-common-3.0.30-3pclos2007.i586.rpm
>> samba-doc-3.0.30-3pclos2007.i586.rpm
>> samba-server-3.0.30-3pclos2007.i586.rpm

When attempting to mount a remote share, "mount -t smbfs //server/share /mnt/dir -o username=user,password=pass" I get the following error:

<snip>
cli_negprot: SMB signing is mandatory and we have disabled it.
14216: protocol negotiation failed
SMB connection failed
<snip>

When I try smbclient... "smbclient //server/share -U user" and enter my password, smbclient connects without issue.

I have tried to solve things, but have come across a void in the help files, man files and online postings with regards to SMB Signing. LOL I was especially mystified to learn from a posting on your mail-list that there is an undocumented smbclient switch ("-S", i.e. capital "S") which can be used to enabled or disable SMB signing at the command-line. Why is this switch not in any of the man files???

Anyway, using "smbclient //server/share -U user -S off" results in the exact same error message quoted above, as you would expect. If I use "-S on" however, smbclient connects properly.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated, especially info on what variables mount.smbfs reads and what the -S hidden switch really does.

Also, please note that I am aware of cifs... using cifs in the mount command also fails, with:

<snip>
mount error 13 = Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
<snip>

Which the /var/log/messages (and dedug etc.) file tells you is because of SMB Signing failures... didn't note the exact error down, but was something about an unexpected SMB signature.

I am hoping that since smbclient works I should be able to get mount via smbfs to work too.

Thanks.

--

Respectfully... Sarlac II

The moving clock of K` appears to observer K
to run slow by the factor (1-v2/c2)^(1/2)
relative to the stationary clocks in K.
This is the phenomenon of time dilation.

The faster you run, the younger you look,
to everyone but yourself.

To reply, remove "nospam"...