[Samba] first questions

Pap Zoltán szorka at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 11:24:44 GMT 2009

Dear All,

I'm new in use of samba. I'd like to know more about samba server config. My
aim to make sharing file-system for 10 microsoft windows users with
opportunitiy of usage ftp. First of all I suppose I made a good
configuration (that sould be good more or less) with helping of http SWAT. I
added a new user (like new account or member) for use of this ftp, but I
cannot reach the server.
I don't know exactly what is the problem... maybe the firewall, maybe my
config wasn't so correct.

First trying config of my SWAt is:

[global]
    workgroup = ZGT_WORKGROUP
    map to guest = Bad User
    printcap name = cups
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s
/bin/false %m$
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
    logon drive = P:
    logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
    domain logons = Yes
    os level = 65
    preferred master = Yes
    domain master = Yes
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    usershare max shares = 5
    cups options = raw
    include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S, %D%w%S
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes
    browseable = No

[profiles]
    comment = Network Profiles Service
    path = %H
    read only = No
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    store dos attributes = Yes

[users]
    comment = All users
    path = /home
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes
    veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/

[groups]
    comment = All groups
    path = /home/groups
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/tmp
    create mask = 0600
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

[print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    write list = @ntadmin, root
    force group = ntadmin
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775

[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    write list = root

[/samba/share/zolka]
    path = /samba/share/zolka
    valid users = zolka
    guest ok = Yes
    hosts allow = 146.110.169.1
    available = No

Can somebody tell me what's wrong with this, and can send me a correct
example of configuration (with how to) for suse linux 11.0? My samba version
is: 3.2.4-4.3-2042-SUSE-SL11.0
That is necessary that my samba server is sharing files and file system for
microsoft users.

I hope sy can help me.
All the best,
zolek