[Samba] Re: [CentOS] OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Thu Jan 22 23:00:06 GMT 2009

> If you are processing on the linux side and not via samba, and
> your program will take a list of files on the command line instead of
> groveling through the directory itself, you might simply start it with a
> wild-card filename on the command line.  The shell will sort the list as
> it expands it so programs see the sorted list.

The processing is done via Samba. Acrobat Distiller is not simply
processing a list of files, it is consolidating a group of files onto a
single file, discarding repeated graphic objects and creating a single
subset of fonts from the various font subsets present on the original pages.

>> There is a workaround to this: use the runfilex script that comes with
>> Acrobat: it can contain a list of files to convert, in the order you
>> want. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable for us since the process
>> then takes about 40 minutes (irrespective of platform or filesystem),
>> instead of 3 or 4 minutes.
>>

> That's very strange.  Maybe you should look for a different tool.  Won't
> ghostscript/psutils or OOo do this?

The tools you quote do not apply in this case. I am not talking about
office style PDFs, I am talking about full professional PDFs for
printing presses, with embedded color profiles such as ISO Newspaper,
JPEG2000 compression, bicubic resampling, etc. Not even Ghostscript does
that kind of thing. I wish it did, but it doesn't.