[Samba] Ntlm_auth authentication problem issue

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 21 00:11:03 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 18:29 -0400, orlandox wrote:
> Hi, I have an arquitecture, of squid-Active Directory with NTLM
> authentication, I have users registered in Active Directory with
> character 'ñ' in this username, with ldap authentication work well, but
> with ntlm the user is not found, and can't be authenticated.
>
> Is a problem of charset?, my linux use utf-8. Maybe change it to latin-1
> could resolve?

This is highly unlikely to change anything here, and a very odd failure.
(The client sends this as unicode, and the interface we use here
*should* just convert to unix charset properly, and back to unicode for
the SamLogon call)

But for best luck, ensure everything is set to UTF8 (ie, leave at the
defaults).

Turning up the debugging in winbindd should show what the incoming user
is when winbind first sees it.

Andrew Bartlett