[Samba] File permissions

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 20:40:59 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Daniel L. Miller <dmiller at amfes.com> wrote:
> John H Terpstra wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday 18 January 2009 18:38:25 Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>>

>>> Is it possible to define file rights, such that -
>>>
>>> The file is owned by root, with full privleges on the Linux server.
>>> The file is shared by a group "users".
>>> The shared file should be available for read and write access.
>>>
>>> That part's easy - but now....
>>>
>>> Deny delete, overwrite, or rename access to this file.  Is this possible?
>>> --
>>> Daniel
>>>

>> Please explain how a user can have write access to a file but not
>> overwrite access?
>> The ability to write implies the ability to change the name as well as the
>> contents of a file.
>> Can you provide a clear description of what you really wish to achieve?
>>
>> - John T.
>>

> Oh - you want me to tell you want I want to do, so you can tell me the right
> way how - instead of helping with the wrong way to do it?  Geez...

If you allow writing to a file there is no way to prevent overwriting
the file with anything.

I believe preventing renaming, and deleting are possible if you
restrict the posix permissions so that writes on the folder are not
permitted by the users. rename and a delete are write operations on
the folder not the file.

John