[Samba] File permissions

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Mon Jan 19 20:29:16 GMT 2009

John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2009 18:38:25 Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to define file rights, such that -
>>
>> The file is owned by root, with full privleges on the Linux server.
>> The file is shared by a group "users".
>> The shared file should be available for read and write access.
>>
>> That part's easy - but now....
>>
>> Deny delete, overwrite, or rename access to this file.  Is this possible?
>> --
>> Daniel
>>

> Please explain how a user can have write access to a file but not overwrite
> access?
>
> The ability to write implies the ability to change the name as well as
> the contents of a file.
>
> Can you provide a clear description of what you really wish to achieve?
>
> - John T.

Oh - you want me to tell you want I want to do, so you can tell me the
right way how - instead of helping with the wrong way to do it?  Geez...

Ok, since you insist.  I'm trying to accommodate Quickbooks (Enterprise
Edition).  Users need to be able to open the file for read & write
access or Quickbooks complains.  However, I don't want the clients to be
able to destroy the file (outside of Quickbooks).  So I need to allow
read/write via Samba - but I want to protect the file as much as possible.

I have the UNIX file owned by root (which the QB SQL server runs as).
The UNIX group ownership is the windows users.  Setting the UNIX group
privileges to read only results in QB errors.  So I don't see how to
protect it just using UNIX privileges - so I thought perhaps there was a
way via Samba.  I (mis)remember some Windoze ACL's might allow for this
type of special access control.

If Quickbooks used a real SQL interface, then it wouldn't be a problem.
But...it doesn't.

--
Daniel