[Samba] samba 4 and unix groups

Daniel Dekok daniel.dekok at sirca.org.au
Sun Jan 18 23:46:54 GMT 2009

From:
Kai Blin <kai at samba.org>
To:
Daniel Dekok <daniel.dekok at sirca.org.au>
Cc:
samba at lists.samba.org
Date:
01/17/2009 12:03 AM
Re: [Samba] samba 4 and unix groups

On Friday 16 January 2009 06:01:14 Daniel Dekok wrote:

> I've been using the howto on the wiki, and i've got to the point of
> groups, and it says to use SWAT to link the unix group and the windows
> group together, but SWAT isn't installed with alpha 5.  Is there an
> alternate method to create this link, or is it even needed?  (It'll
> probably be useful as we're going to be using samba to provide cifs
based
> file shares back to linux hosts, and keeping uids/gids similar will be
> beneficial)

What exactly are you trying to do? You're talking about SID<->gid mappings

across multiple hosts, and I'm not quite sure how that fits into the other

things you described.

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin
WorldForge developer  http://www.worldforge.org/

Hi Kai,

I'm just trying to make sure that my unix groups and my samba AD groups
are linked or similar as much as they can be, and i've been basing my
current knowledge on the adding groups part of the howto here:

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO#Step_2:_Adding_groups_into_Samba_4_Active_Directory

It mentions creating the unix group and the AD groups with the same name,
and then 'linking' them, but i can't do the linking part as SWAT isn't
active, was asking for a alternate method, or was asking if it was needed
at all.

Thanks,

Daniel