[Samba] Samba server visibility

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sat Jan 17 15:39:54 GMT 2009

    I must be missing something somewhere.  I can't get our Samba server
to show up when I look in Network Neighborhood under XP.  If I type in
\\servername\path, it won't find it, however if I use the IP, it works fine.

    Now, experience tells me that I'm having to type the IP because it's
not resolving the name.  Well fine, I can fix that, however I don't
recall doing that in the past, at all.  In fact, we just rebuild a
server, reinstalled Samba, recovered all the config files from backups,
and we can't see the server on the network.  Samba's working fine, I can
get to the server by using it's IP, but resolving the name is a no-go.
Prior to rebuilding the machine, I didn't have to put the IP in, it
simply worked when I typed the server name in.

    I've combed our DNS servers, I've checked the PeeCees, nothing tells
me that there's a pointer anywhere that resolves the (Samba) server
name.  So, what am I missing here?

    Samba version 3.2.7-0.25 on FC10.

    Config below:

[global]