[Samba] Samba 3.0.28a on Ubuntu LTS 8.01 and Vista sp1 offline files (now testing with Samba 3.2.7).

Gavin Henry gavin.henry at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 20:32:29 GMT 2009

Hi All,

We're really having problems with Offline Files/Folders and Vista sp1
laptops/desktops.

We working with Microsoft just now to debug this as we're registered
partners (for testing Samba/LDAP etc.). We now have a massive thread
going in the private Vista 4-hr response support forums and we're on
to log files debugging Vista side. We've cleared CSC etc. applied the
following:

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2007/03/16/using-offline-files-with-samba-emc-servers-nas-devices.aspx

We applied the registry patch and oplocks settings (even though most
are on by default). The map settings olny allowed directories to be
shown for some reason though, so we disabled. For now the customer has
switched back to doing offline files against a Vista Desktop that is
sharing out folders and there are no .tmp files being created anymore,
so must be something Samba side.

We also compiled up 3.2.7 and are now running it in the hope 3.0.28a
is somehow missing the patch that Jeremy did in 2007 to fix this
previously.

Anyone come across this before?

We'll keep you updated when we here more back from Microsoft Technical
support and hopefully get this resolved for others.

Thanks,

Gavin.