[Samba] specified network name no longer available

Bender, Roger Roger.Bender at OneNeck.com
Fri Jan 16 15:26:39 GMT 2009

I have samba up and running on an AIX 5.3 server.  Has been working for a year.
Yesterday, users started getting a windows dialogue message "specified network name is no longer available".
No changes to the Unix server have been made.

In my logs I get the following when a user attempts to connect:
[2009/01/16 09:30:25, 2] smbd/sesssetup.c:setup_new_vc_session(602)
  setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all old resources.
[2009/01/16 09:30:25, 2] smbd/sesssetup.c:setup_new_vc_session(602)
  setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close all old resources.

Here is my smb.conf file
[global]
        workgroup = MBDOMAIN
        netbios name = MISUNX01
        server string = AIX(%h) Samba %v
        #interfaces = 192.168.4.38/255.255.255.0
        interfaces = 192.168.4.38
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = 192.168.4.26
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/username.map
        #
        # max log level is 2 - higher bombs out
        log level = 2
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        name resolve order = wins host
        #name resolve order = host wins bcast
        local master = No
        show add printer wizard = No
        wins server = 192.168.4.26
        wins server = missabaydc.mbdomain.local
        guest account = guest
        #
        # max log level is 2 - higher bombs out
        debug level = 2
        # Cap log file @ 50 KB
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384
        keepalive = 0
        mangle case = Yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        create mask = 0666
        force directory mode = 0777
        map archive = No

[public]
        comment = Public Shared Space
        path = /public
        force group = bsp
        read only = No
        create mask = 0666
        force directory mode = 0777
        guest ok = Yes
        map archive = No

[tmpdmp]
        comment = Temporary Dump Space for Baan Admins
        path = /tmpdump

Any suggestions?

Roger Bender
Unix Admin III