[Samba] samba 4 and unix groups

Daniel Dekok daniel.dekok at sirca.org.au
Fri Jan 16 05:01:14 GMT 2009

Hi,

I've been playing with a samba 4 installation to try out some things (and
integrate with some windows/cifs based hardware that claims not to work
with samba) and everythings going ok so far, using the alpha 5 release and
i can get users and machines onto the domain, and the hardware seems to
not know its not a standard AD setup.

I've been using the howto on the wiki, and i've got to the point of
groups, and it says to use SWAT to link the unix group and the windows
group together, but SWAT isn't installed with alpha 5.  Is there an
alternate method to create this link, or is it even needed?  (It'll
probably be useful as we're going to be using samba to provide cifs based
file shares back to linux hosts, and keeping uids/gids similar will be
beneficial)

Thanks,

Daniel

Systems Administrator, Sirca