[Samba] time sync issue

wes samba at the-wes.com
Fri Jan 16 03:17:55 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Michael Heydon <michaelh at jaswin.com.au>wrote:

>  I like the idea of fixing my NTP setup. It worked with the Windows DC, how
>> can I find out why it doesn't work with Samba?
>>

> Just to clarify, do you actually have an NTP setup? Samba isn't an NTP
> server and NTP has absolutely nothing to do with samba/domains/etc.
>
> The "net time" command uses an SMB query to find the time at the remote
> host, Samba is responsible for answering this query however this is only
> used by "net time". When you set a machine to sync it's time with another
> machine (via the Time and Date/Internet Time settings) it uses NTP.
>
> If you don't already have it, you will need to install/configure ntpd on
> your server and have it sync with a lower stratum host (you can make it sync
> to itself if it doesn't have internet access but that isn't ideal). Once it
> has had time to stabilise your clients should happily sync to it.
>

> *Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
> michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>

Ok, that makes sense. I think I can configure the NTP server on the windows
clients using DHCP. I would be ok with that. But when I use the Internet
Time tab, it always gives the message "An error occurred while Windows was
synchronizing with [ntp server]" even when I use a known-good NTP server
(external to my network, and works fine for my linux hosts).

But, that is a Windows error and has nothing to do with Samba, so I will
take that issue up in a more appropriate place.

thanks,
-wes