[Samba] mangled filenames

James Tandy james at jamestandy.com
Wed Jan 14 14:21:27 GMT 2009

Hi Desmond,

I too have experienced this problem, however this was using XP SP2/3
clients and an openSUSE 11 server.

The summary of the problem for XP:

When downloading a file from the internet, or another windows/samba pc
that is not in the Intranet security zone, by default XP creates 2 files.
DownloadedFile.exe
DownloadedFile.exe:Zone.Identifier

The result is that when viewing the folder in question in XP, the : is
not a valid character for a filename, and so the file is inaccessible
and displays a strange filename.

I can't rememebr what samba version I was running however,
I fixed it initially by adding "vfs objects = streams_xattr" to smb.conf
as suggested in the following thread
http://forums.opensuse.org/network-internet/387779-samba-file-transfer-creates-zone-identifier-files.html

Subsequent to that I updated Samba to Version 3.2.4-4.1-1993-SUSE-SL11.0
and have now also removed the above line from the config.

Regards,
James