[Samba] Calling Samba print server with an aliased DNS-name fails with Samba 3.2.7 but worked with 3.0.30.

Remy Zandwijk remy.zandwijk at falw.vu.nl
Tue Jan 13 21:28:44 GMT 2009

Hi.

Tonight, I upgraded our Samba print server running Samba 3.0.30 to Samba
3.2.7. This netbios name of this server is 'EUPRYMNA' and the DNS-name
'euprymna.falw.vu.nl'. Since this is a difficult name to remember, we created
a DNS-alias 'printserver.falw.vu.nl'.

Connecting to printers by calling the server by it's DNS-alias worked in
3.0.30. After the upgrade however, we can only connect to printers when the
server is called by it's normal DNS- or netbios name. When connecting to the
DNS-alias name of the server, the server responds with 'Windows cannot connect
to printer ....'.

Looking at the level 10 logs, Samba is calling the 'is_myname' function from
lib/util.c. The parameter is the name the server is called with, in my case
'printserver.falw.vu.nl'. is_myname returns 0, meaning the names do not match.

I found that setting 'netbios alias' to 'printserver.falw.vu.nl' is resolving
this issue, although nmbd complains about the name being too long. is_myname
returns 1, meaning the names match.

Is this expected behaviour? Is there a better workaround available? If needed,
a level 10 log is available.

-Remy