[Samba] Shared homes in a different samba server

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 14:41:22 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 9:26 AM, Mario Giammarco <mgiammarco at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/9 John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
>>
>> We do that (and have that in place for 5 or so years). No data exists
>> on the pdc. The nice thing about that is with this setup we can make a
>> new PDC/BDC in less than 5 minutes and install it on one of our openvz
>> or xen hosts. We do have the profiles folder mounted under nfs to the
>> PDC and our ldap configuration each users profile is specified with
>> the server name of the machine with the user shares.
>
> So you are "cheating": in the PDC  samba conf you say that "homes" and
> "profiles" are in a directory of the PDC, but the directory is not
> phisically there, it is a nfs mount on another server right? Very good idea
> anyway!
>
> I do not understand the part about the ldap configuration, can you please
> explain it better: what can you do with ldap??

If you are not using LDAP for your password security I would not
bother then. You can still make your profiles folder on a second
server in your smb.conf.

[Profiles]
    path = /home/%U/%U.pds
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes
    profile acls = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /home/netlogon
   readonly = yes
   browseable = yes

Here I have the regular /home which is an nfs mount but you could
instead specify a UNC path. I know I tested this in the past. I would
activate and test this now but I have a meeting in 30 minutes and so
its not good to make any changes with no one running the store... Also
all other shares (user public and private + several dfs mounts) are
mapped with my login script to the appropriate servers.

John