[Samba] How workstation get authenticated in DC

Jacky Wu/UFL - ICIL jackyyjwu at icil.net
Wed Jan 7 02:53:35 GMT 2009

Re-send, because the first email has '[BULK]' in the message subject and may be spamed. Thanks.

Dear Friends,

I use LDAP as the samba backend passwd in RHEL. After adding some index to LDAP, some workstation lost the trust relationship with the domain controller. The solution is to re-join the workstation to the domain, but I do not know why workstation lost the trust relationship.

When I re-join the workstation to domain, I find that the workstation LDAP entry change/add the attribute sambaNTPassword. Therefore, would you please instruct which script is called to modify the attribute sambaNTPassword when I add a workstation to domain?  I also want to know how PC make authentication at DC, where PC stores its password (used to authenticate itself during authentication).

You explanation is highly appreciated!

Happy New Year 2009!

Best Regards,
Jacky Wu/UFL - ICIL