[Samba] XP explorer delay in showing file icons

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Tue Jan 6 22:41:03 GMT 2009

I upgraded a samba PDS and a samba domain member server from 2.0.28 to 2.0.33 and
noticed a change in the speed of browsing directories that contain large files.  I
don't mean a large number of files in the directory, rather, large files like
installers of 60Mb or larger.  XP clients using windows explorer display the file
names and then have a long delay before the icons show up.  The bigger the file, the
longer the delay.  For a directory containing only one large file, even the filename
takes a long time to appear, then the icon follows later.

I should say that the speed of actually transferring a file is quite good.  The
problem is just with the icon display.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Thanks,

Mark