[Samba] File integrity in Samba/NFS environment

tim clusters tim.clusters at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 23:16:13 GMT 2009

Hi Volker,

With "oplocks = no", still we see the same behaviour of only some SMB
clients seeing the file updates from NFS client (even after file is closed
after updates). Using native file-system GPFS Linux client, all the SMB
clients can see updates from the Linux client.  I tried appending contents
from NFS client via O_DIRECT flag (to bypass NFS caching), but does not seem
to solve.

-----
[root at node-01 ~]# testparm | grep lock
Processing section "[global-share]"
Loaded services file OK.
'winbind separator = +' might cause problems with group membership.
Invalid combination of parameters for service
global-share.                       Level II oplocks can only be set if
oplocks are also set.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
        blocking locks = No
        oplocks = No
        strict locking = Yes
-----
When SMB clients(which cannot see updates) tries to access the file after
updated by NFS client, we get the following error:

"Cannot open the Z:\FileName_XYZ
Make sure a disk is in the drive you specified".

The SMB client run Windows 2003 64-bit and all of them have the latest
updates.

Please find the log.smbd, network trace of SMB port, and log.winbind from a
SMB server(to which SMB client are having issues accessing share). Please
note, it seems to be always the same SMB server that is having issues and
when the SMB client mounting from the other SMB server updates the NFS
file,  all the SMB clients can access. The SMB servers are managed via CTDB
authenticating via AD 2003.

Please advise.

Thanks,
-Tim