[Samba] Samba performance issue

Mon Jan 5 20:47:18 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:25:34PM +0100, Fabien wrote:
> I've seen I'm not the only one impacted with this issue these times on
> the mailing list :)
>
> I did the following test (Debian packages) :
>
> Server & Client : samba 3.2.5
> mount -t smbfs : ~35Mo/s
> mount -t cifs : ~35Mo/s
> smbclient : ~80Mo/s
>
> Server & Client : samba 3.0.24
> mount -t smbfs : ~35Mo/s
> mount -t cifs : ~35Mo/s
> smbclient : ~60Mo/s
>
> This is the first time I try smbclient.
>
> There is a real big difference between mount and smbclient !
>
> And it seems to be better to use the 3.2.5 version which is ~ 20Mo/s
> better than the 3.0.24 version.
>
> Again, all of this was tested without using the disks (buffer cache).
>
> Do you know where does this difference comes from ?

It's the latencies that kill performance. Given the
request->response nature of the protocol with a limited
request size (no matter how large you make them), you can
only get a certain number of round trips per second.
smbclient 3.2 and even more in upcoming 3.3 hides those
latencies by issuing more than one request at the same time
using the "Multiplex ID" field in the SMB header properly.
Neither cifs nor smbfs do this.

Volker