[Samba] net getlocalsid: is this a bug?

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Fri Jan 2 21:49:05 GMT 2009

> Right. The answer actually is "You didn't read the help text
> to 'getlocalsid'". I don't know which Samba version you're running, but in
> the v3-3-test tree, the help text for net getlocalsid says "Get the SID for
> the local domain". The local domain for member servers is different from the
> domain a member server is joined to, but for a PDC, it's the same.
> Technically, you're always looking at domain SIDs here, so the output of net
> does just the right thing.

Thank you for your answer.
In fact, I did read the man page and the online help, and they both
confirm my question. I am using Samba 3.2.6 on CentOS 5.2.

The man page says the following:

--------------------------------
GETLOCALSID [DOMAIN]
Prints the SID of the specified domain, or if the parameter is omitted,
the SID of the local server.

--------------------------------

"*If the parameter is omitted* it prints the SID of the local server."

If you invoke the "net" command without parameters, the online help states:

Usage:
         net getlocalsid [NAME]        to get the SID for local machine name

In sum, it seems to me that, for the sake of consistency and to avoid
confusion, the output from "getlocalsid" without parameter should be
"SID for local machine (...)".
According to what you say, perhaps this has already been changed for
version 3.3...