[Samba] Samba performance issue

Fri Jan 2 19:48:53 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 05:54:11PM +0100, Aleš Bláha wrote:
> Both computers run Gentoo Linux 2008, kernel 2.6.25-r9,
> server runs Samba 3.0.33, client mount.cifs 3.0.30.  The
> underlying filesystem for Samba is Ext3 with xattr and
> acls. I wasn't able to break 32MB/s (250Mbps) transfer
> speed neither reading nor writing to the server. The disk
> subsystem of the server is capable of 60MB/s and generaly
> the hardware is not the bottleneck. Neither is the network
> - the bw_tcp from LMbench suite shows around 108MB/s with
> 1500b messages, which is what I would expect from GbE &
> TCP/IP. I've been tinkering with

In a test I did lately it made a huge difference if I just
did raw TCP benchmarks, raw disk benchmarks or a combined
one. The test I used was

netcat -l -p 9999 > diskfile

on the receiving end and

netcat <server-ip> 9999 <diskfile

on the sending end. This made my hardware which would
otherwise happily saturate gigE crawl down to something like
50MB/sec. Can you try that?

Volker