[Samba] samba freezes the server

Sascha Zucca zucca at web.de
Fri Jan 2 15:36:51 GMT 2009

Hello List !
oh my....i have a very severe problem here, and i absolutely need
assistance...

my samba version is 3.2.6-3.1-2034-SUSE-CODE11
on an opensuse 11.1 though this thing happened on an ubuntu intrepid
with 3.2.4 too:

the smbd freezes the whole system here.....for no obvious reason
i already tested everything, and everything works perfectly, untill 2 or
more people want to work with it...

- hardware is ok (18h stress test with bonnie, mprime, glxgears, memtester)

- samba basically seems ok too (8 hours of running a script copying 500
mb to a share, deleting them again and restarting the procedure. this
has been done with 400 loops on 3 clients simultanously and everything
was functioning very well.)
Logging in and out, reaching the shares, copying the profiles to the
server...everything is normally ok.

i am labouring on this for about 2 weeks now....and the problem is not
really reproducable it just happens to appear once or twice a day...
the whole system is frozen then and nothing can be done unless you
restart the whole server machine makeing it work perfect

the only relevant info i have on this is that the freeze appeared when
logging out from the domain the last two times, and that i have this in
my logs (loglevel 3):

smbd/notify_inotify.c:watch_destructor(351)
inotify_rm_watch returned Das Argument ist ungültig

and

smbd/error.c:error_packet_set(61)
error packet at smbd/nttrans.c(532) cmd=162 (SMBntcreateX)
NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION

please help me... This isn't my first samba server...but i am really
going nuts with this one.
Any idea is very welcome...
thank you very much

Sascha

my smb.conf (the main share being worked on being "projects"):

[global]
        workgroup = domainname
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        printcap cache time = 750
        cups options = raw
        map to guest = Bad User
        logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
        logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
        logon script = user.log.bat
        logon drive = Q:
        usershare allow guests = Yes
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d
/var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        local master = Yes
        netbios name = fileserver
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        security = user
        time server = Yes
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.samba-log
        max log size = 30000
        syslog = 1
        syslog only = no
        debug level = 3
        max mux = 50000
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        dead time = 0
        getwd cache = yes
        case sensitive = no
        preserve case = yes
        dos filetimes = yes
        dos filetime resolution = yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S, %D%w%S
        browseable = No
        read only = No
        inherit acls = Yes
[profiles]
        comment = Network Profiles Service
        path = %H
        read only = No
        store dos attributes = Yes
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700
[users]
        comment = All users
        path = /home
        read only = No
        inherit acls = Yes
        veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
[groups]
        comment = All groups
        path = /home/groups
        read only = No